Monday, March 24, 2008

My Bubie

On Sunday, March 9, our family lost our matriarch, my Bubie Ruby. Below is an exerpt from the eulogy I wrote and read at her service.

"...Over the past few days, many people have called and written to express their condolences. Many have shared stories about Bubie, how special she was and how she touched their lives. These thoughts and stories mean so much to me, and I am saving them to share with my children someday in hopes that they will remember their Bubie Ruby..."

"...The other day at the hospital, Bubie's Grandchildren, those of us who could be there, gathered at her bedside. We recounted old stories, sang songs she sang to us as children that we now sing to our children. We reminisced about old times and our favorite memories of Bubie. We even traded recipes and talked about her cooking - after all, it was Bubie's dinners that brought our family and friends together..."

"...I am sad today because I miss Bubie and mourn her loss, but I am even more sad for my children who didn't have all the wonderful years with her that I did. My kids loved their Bubie Rub-ee, as they called her, very much. They loved to take her out to eat or to talk to her on the phone to tell her their new jokes or sing songs or just to share their accomplishments with her. I am so sad for my kids who will grow up without her, but I also feel blessed that we had her for all these wonderful years..."

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Rena, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Bubie Ruby. She sounds like an amazing lady... and I know she has left a huge legacy behind her to make sure all those wonderful sounds, sights, smells and joy are continued in her honor.

My deepest condolences and big huge HUGS to you, Nathan & Sela.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

sorry for your loss rena, i can imagine the feeling, i have lost my father,
Jill

Isabella's mom said...

trying this out rena